Because NPR Always Ignores My Submissions

Thursday, May 04, 2006

First Post: Reflections on being a Blogger

As a writer, I like having a decent buffer. It’s comforting to know that, legally speaking, my writing belongs to the newspaper, and when I write something that someone else doesn’t like, I have the newspaper as an advocate to keep me safe.

I don’t get angry calls from readers, or worse, the subject of an article. The newspaper does. In the event that I do, I can always send them to the editor. So long as I’m doing my job right, the newspaper has my back.

But that’s starting to change, and although I like my newspaper security blanket as much as the next journalist, it’s time for us to grow up a little bit, and face our readers and our subjects.

What if the readers were able to take your article, and tack on their own comments at the end? Or send readers to another source? What if those comments weren’t edited, and the reader could throw compliments or, just as likely, insults and complaints your way.

That’s just what blogs do, and though I’ve been relatively lucky, I’ve had my share of complaints as well.
As a DJ, I post my playlists online at Discord/Harmony. For a while I would highlight my favorite tracks, and even each week I’d highlight at least one “dud” that didn’t work with the set, or just plain wasn’t good.

Then the comment came after I spoke poorly of one group that just didn’t work for me. It said, quite frankly, “You’re a dud!”

Now, the individual posted anonymously. It could be anyone – a random person moving around blogs leaving obnoxious comments just to start arguments (known across the netiverse as “trolls”), it could be one of my siblings giving me a decent ribbing, or it could be a sincere fan of the group arguing back.

It doesn’t really matter which, the fact is by opening myself into an environment where people can shout back if they want, I’m opening myself to criticism. And hopefully, it will make me a better writer and a better thinker.

Now, I’m not a fan of blind insults either way, so I tried to discourage the anonymous reader to come out from hiding, especially since my full name appeared on the front of the blog. I asked him to talk with me, and maybe convince me that a group called Catfish Haven was worth more than what I had indicated, and I got lucky, because he did.

I’ve seen all too many times the barrage of insults thrown back and forth in online forums over topics as weighty as religion, or as futile as which band is the best. Sadly the language and nature of the arguments often is at the same low level of maturity.

The best ones though, and I’ve received just a few, come out, say who they are and make a clear argument, from which I will learn something. It’s the type of thing as professional writers we would love to avoid, but the reader may be the best editor we have – one that will bring a new perspective to our subject and open up our mind.

2 Comments:

  • Can we have blog friends on this site so we don't have to copy and paste each others' addresses all the time?

    Dude, Catfish Haven is up there with PBArmy as one of the worst band names around.

    By Blogger PASStheTEA_B, at 10:06 PM  

  • I don't know about friends, a la Myspace, but you can put links on your own page and link them to the other blogs. I can show you how on Tuesday.

    By Blogger Aaron Burkhalter, at 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home